Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Project Runway: The Finale

Tonight marked the last episode of Project Runway season 5. Finalist, Kenley, Korto, and Leanne showcased 10 looks from their collections centerstage during Spring 2009 Fashion Week at Bryant Park.








First to show was Kenley. I will be the first to say that I admire the fact that each piece Kenley designs makes a bold statement and is a true testiment to her work as a designer. Her knack for breaking out of the box and taking a chance is surely apparent; however, her collection lacked the cohesion it needed to make a clear statement. There were bright colors, painted fabrics, rope, full skirts, a mish moch of too many things at once. Also, Kenley's lackadasical attitude towards viewers' comments on her similarity to pieces from other designers is unacceptable. How can you be a designer and not be aware of what's going on in the industry around you? Foolish. On the lighter side, there were individual pieces I enjoyed from Kenley, my favorite being the dress worn by her muse model:






Korto's line premiered next. With pieces inspired by her African heritage, Korto's line showed clear vision and wearability. While many runway shows leave the average 'Jane Blow' dumbfounded at how the looks could be translated to everyday, Korto succeeded in producing piece after piece that could take you from lunch with friends to a night out on the town. The colors were vibrant and the craftmanship impeccable. This is my fav. piece from Korto:






So the last designer, and this season's winner was Leanne. The theme of her show was waves and water, which was quite apparent from the bland color pallet and the virtual sea of waves that walked down the runway in every look.




While I'm a clear fan of cohesion, no one likes to be lead astray, I felt this collection was too one dimensional. Vests, jackets, skirts, and dresses all layered in these waves and petals. Don't get me wrong, the waves clearly showed Leanne's level of talent but also made me yearn for something more. I couldn't help but be reminded of Prada shoes fall'08 virtually EVERYTIME I saw one of her pieces. Here's my favorite from Leanne:

I'll come straight out and say that I was quite disappointed in the results of tonight's show. Although I wasn't from the very beginning, after watching all 3 collections, I was team Korto all the way. There was just something about Korto's pieces which let me know she had an understanding of the female body and the way garments should be made to present them in the most flattering light possible.

What do you all think?? Please, agree to disagree if you must ;0)

1 comment:

Mecc... said...

I agree with you completely. I feel like Korto was robbed because while ethnic inspired garments have been done before, it has not been executed as well as we have seen from Korto. She designed her collection in a way that showed her point of view yet any women, ethnic or otherwise, could and would want to wear. I think that the judges, and all of the fashion powers that be, have a single point of view of what fashion is (i.e. nothing too ethnic inspired), no matter how much they claim that they want to see "innovation". They either don't want to see it or don't understand what fashion is truly all about and I am afraid that it may be a combination of both.